The Industrial Materials Unit – Civil (IMU-Civil) has developed specialized capabilities in Civil Engineering issues with respect to the Construction industry and a wide range of construction materials.
We provide testing and consultancy services primarily to the Building and Construction industry. However, our reputation for problem solving and accurate, independent analysis has also brought clients from the Energy sector, the Manufacturing sector, local and regional standards organizations, other government agencies, and homeowners.
The Laboratory and Field Tests commonly requested for Concrete, Aggregate and Concrete Products are listed below as well as the field services we provide.
Slip Resistance Assessment
On Monday 12th December, 2016, The Caribbean Industrial Research Institute (CARIRI) launched its newest service, Slip Resistance Assessment, to a full house at the Centre for Enterprise Development, Innovation Avenue, Freeport.
Laboratory Tests on Aggregate
Laboratory Tests on Asphalt
- Marshall Stability and Flow
- Asphalt content
- Maximum theoretical specific gravity
- Bulk specific gravity
- Air voids
Laboratory Tests on Concrete
- Compressive strength of cubes, cylinders, cores, blocks, slabs, pavers, etc.
- Asphalt and Concrete mix designs
- Non destructive testing of concrete
- Nuclear density testing
- Aggregate sampling
- Concrete sampling – preparation of test specimens, temperature and slump
- Asphalt and concrete coring
- 2000kN and 3000kN compression machines for compressive strength testing.
- Marshall tester for asphalt
- CBR tester for aggregates
- Nuclear density gauges for determining site compaction
- Non Destructive Testing (NDT) equipment
- PUNDIT (Ultrasound testing)
- Covermeter (locating and sizing rebars in concrete)
- Schmidt hammers (rebound hammer testing)
- Half cell (corrosion of rebars in concrete)
Quality in Construction
The Caribbean Industrial Research Institute’s (CARIRI’s) Industrial Materials – Civil Unit held their first session for the year on Tuesday 12th April, 2016 and was aptly named “Quality in Construction”. The session was held at the Centre for Enterprise Development in Freeport and was attended by a wide cross section of persons who actively work in the Construction sector.
The Minister of Works and Transport, the Honourable Fitzgerald Hinds delivered the feature address at the session. The Honourable Minister stated his enthusiasm for accepting CARIRI’s invitation to the seminar since he thought that this discussion was very important to the nation and he commended CARIRI for taking the initiative to commence it. He stated that in adversity, we become strong and can find the opportunities for growth.
Quality Assurance in Infrastructure Projects
On Tuesday 9th August 2016, the Caribbean Industrial Research Institute (CARIRI) hosted a seminar for the technical and administrative professionals of the Regional Corporations and Borough Councils across the country entitled ‘Quality Assurance in Infrastructure Projects” at the Centre for Enterprise Development, Innovation Avenue, Freeport. The session was the initiative of CARIRI’s Industrial Materials Unit – Civil Unit.
Contact us today at:
Phone: 285-5050 ext 3190
Location: Trincity West Industrial Estate, Macoya